Today's theme is The "Read and React Offense"
The Read and React offense was developed by coach Rick Torbett (BetterBasketball.com). This newsletter just serves as an introduction... for more details, see "Notes on the Read and React Offense
", or even better, get BetterBasketball's Read and React Offense DVD set
. Below are some of my thoughts about it after having used it for a few years (varsity boys).
We like this offense a lot. We were formerly a motion offense team, but switched to the Read and React offense a few years ago. It basically is a motion offense, but with specific rules and "reads" for players without the ball. The player with the ball is free to do what he/she sees best... drive, shoot, or pass and cut. The other four players "read" the ball and react accordingly. We get more player movement and less standing around with this offense. And we can still call set plays... but if the play fails, we just fall back into the Read and React as our basic offense.
1. Similar to but different from motion offenses. In R&R, player with ball ("initiator") has options to do multiple things. The other four players ("reactors") read and react to what the guy with the ball does, and there is only one correct off-ball movement.
2. Very flexible... can use with almost any set... 3-2, 4-1, 5-out, 1-4 high, etc. Can be used in an up-tempo, quick attack offense, and in transition, or in a deliberate, slow offense. You can use it as your delay offense without changing anything... just tell players "lay-ups only".
3. Can be used against both man-to-man and zone defenses... so you don't need a separate zone offense.
4. You can run plays, but use the R&R rules once the play breaks down or fails.
5. Is a "system"... taught in 17 layers. Could start in 5th grade with layers 1 and 2, and add a layer every year as the kids progress. You can start it out with your varsity, teach first few layers and gradually add the layers as the weeks progress... makes you a better offensive team by tournament time. Varsity level players can progress through the layers more quickly given their skill level and maturity.
6. Makes your defense better by having to guard the R&R every day in practice.
7. Teach this offense by using R&R breakdown drills every practice, and 5-on-5.
The offense is taught in 17 layers:
Layer #1, Dribble-penetration
Layer #2, Baseline dribble-drive
Layer #3, Pass & Cut layer
Layer #4, Post-player adjustment to dribble-penetration
Layer #5, Dribble at - Back-cut
Layer #6, Power Dribble and Hand-off
Layer #7, Circle-Reverse
Layer #8, Back-screens
Layer #9, Multiple Staggered Screens
Layer #10, Advanced Post Player Reactions
Layer #11, 4-Out, 1-in Post Blocking
Layer #12, 4-out, 1-in Post Passing - Lakers Cuts, X-Cut, Corner Slide
Layer #13, 3-Out, 2-in Dribble-Penetration Game
Layer #14, Counter Help-side Defense - Pin and Skip Pass
Layer #15, Attacking Zone Defenses - the Read and React Zone Offense
Layer #16, Seamless Transition from Fast-break to Half-Court Offense
Layer #17, Flowing from Set to Set
Again, for more details, see "Notes on the Read and React Offense
", or get BetterBasketball's Read and React Offense DVD set
Link(s) from other sites: Del Harris Basketball Coaching Philosophy
Summer Special! - almost over so act now!
Reminder... Coach's Clipboard and Point Guard College have teamed up to provide you with this great offer. If you are not already a Premium Member, join now and you will receive a special "promo code" that will get you 50% off when you register for a Point Guard College Coach's session this summer. The 50% discount is for coaches only and the discount will reduce the usual $795 tuition fee down to $397.50. The fee includes room and board, and meals, for 5 days and 5 nights. There are 52 Point Guard College Coach's Sessions throughout the country to choose from... check this schedule of camps
. Please note that this offer expires July 1, 2013
, so you must join and register NOW! Sessions are filling up quickly and some are already sold out so ACT NOW!
How to get the discount? If you are not already a member, just sign up and purchase a Premium Membership
now (or a "Ball of Wax
" special). Then when you login to the member site, you will receive the promo code. You then call PGC to register for a coach's session and tell them over the phone your promo code and you will get the discount. We will also provide you with the phone number to call PGC.
If you are already a Premium Member
(or have purchased the "Ball of Wax" special), you already qualify for the 50% discount... there is nothing else to buy. Just login to the Premium Members site
and you will see the Promo code and further details there.
Get your fundraising started now...
Practice Planner Live
Use this online program and get access to the tools professionals use. Plan practices easily, quickly and more effectively. Have all your drills and thoughts in one place. Get access to your practice stats and see if your team play reflects what you are working on... See statistics of your practice. Are you focusing too much time on one aspect of the game? Now you never have to guess! Baseball, Basketball, Football, Soccer, and More! Get the Practice Planning Edge Today!More info
Practice Planning Tip
from Mike May @ Practice Planener Live: Make all of your drills competitive and keep track of winner and losers. Post up a "Win Sheet" everyday in practice and watch the intensity and execution level elevate.
Till next time...
Dr. Jim Gels, aka "Coach Gels"
The Coach's Clipboard
http://www.coachesclipboard.net/CoachesClipboardPremiumContent/index.html - Premium Members section
http://basketballstore-coachesclipboard.net - our Basketball DVD Store
http://basketballstore.coachesclipboard.net - our general basketball store
All Coach's Clipboard materials are under US copyright, 2013, James A. Gels
Click here to unsubscribe to this newsletter (please include your username in the email).
Email me your comments or suggestions.