Basketball Player Development Series with Tim Springer - Spartan Guard Skills WorkoutFrom the Coach’s Clipboard Basketball Playbook, @ www.coachesclipboard.net
This page presents a number of excellent individual player development work-outs and drills generously provided by basketball coach and trainer Tim Springer of San Antonio, TX. Included are many of the training drills used by several top NBA players.
- Guard Workouts
- Spartan Guard Skills Workout
- Shooting Guard Workout
- Forward Scoring Workout
- Post Player Workout
- Spartan Skills Drills
- Spartan Gun Shooting Drills
- Team 3-Point Shooting Drills
- 15 Point Per Game Workout
- College Point-Guard Workout
- Performance Training Drills
- Defensive Rotations into Transition Drills
- Lebron James Scoring Workout
- Tony Parker Scoring Series
- Kevin Durant Scoring Workout
- Derrick Rose Scoring Workout
- Tim Duncan Scoring Series
- Manu Ginobili Scoring Series
- George Hill Scoring Series
- Becky Hammon Floppy to Pick and Roll Drill
- Kyrie Irving Scoring Workout
Coach Tim Springer is the founder of Spartan Basketball in the San Antonio area. Coach Springer has trained over 500 players and coaches in the San Antonio Basketball Community.
His program features:
- Premier Basketball Camps (San Antonio and surrounding areas)
- High Intensity Skills Clinics
- Private Lessons for Basketball Players of All Ages (San Antonio and surrounding areas)
- Training for Club and School Season Tryouts
- San Antonio Coaches Clinics
- Clinics at the AT & T Center - same court as the San Antonio Spurs and San Antonio Silver Stars play on!
- Spartan Character Classes - teaching goal setting, planning workouts, and overall character development
Spartan Guard Skills Workout
Tennis Ball FinishesDiagram G.
2 Ball Cut and TuckDiagram H. Player pounds 2 balls 10-15 times. Attacks elbow and cuts to basket. Tucks one ball under arm and finishes with the other.
Change of Direction Cone TouchDiagram I. Player makes continuous one dribble change of direction. After each move player touches opposite cone with guard hand. On the cue of the coach the players explodes into la yup or jump shot.
Focus: Creating the habit of bringing through the guard hand after each change of direction.
2 Ball ProgressionDiagram J. Player pounds ball 15 times then passes off the dribble with the hand called by the coach. Then changes direction into one dribble jump shot.
2 Ball ProgressionDiagram K. Player flashes behind cone in the corner for pass from coach. Player goes into pick and roll and makes jump shot from elbow.
Cone Line SeriesDiagram L. Player weaves between cones with various moves working on hand speed with each move. Player then looks to duplicate speed of move on cone at the elbow.
Emphasis: Being efficient between pound dribble and move, and between move and pound dribble after.
Moves: Crossovers, 2 dribble in/outs, between the legs
Agility Drills to Score on CoachDiagram M. Player moves through cones working on speed and agility. Coach throws out ball for player to explode to. Player then scores on coach while taking contact with a blocking pad.
Change of Directions Attacks with DefenseDiagram N. Player attacks coach with change of direction move and scores. Takes ball out of net and performs change of direction moves through cones. Coach gives resistance to player on move to simulate game contact.
Change of Direction Moves:
- In and Out
- Between the Legs
- Behind the Back
- Spin Move
"On the Clock" PG DrillsDiagram O. 1 1/2 minutes on clock (forces player to continually attack). Set goal of how many makes before time runs out. Make player make move on way out to start drill over.
- Change of Direction on cones / finish side of basket with contact
- In/Out on cones / Change of Direction on coach
- In/Out into change of direction / floater against coach
Pick and Roll Scoring SeriesDiagram P. Player uses chair into high pick and roll series.
Shots: vs soft hedge, vs hard hedge, split screen, vs ice, shoot behind the screen, reject screen, elbow bounce out, put in jail, attack the switch.
Copyright © 2001 - 2018, James A. Gels, all rights reserved.