Derrick Rose Scoring Workout by Tim SpringerFrom the Coach’s Clipboard Basketball Playbook, @ http://www.coachesclipboard.net
This page presents a number of excellent individual player development work-outs and drills generously provided by basketball coach and trainer Tim Springer of San Antonio, TX. Included are many of the training drills used by several top NBA players.
- Guard Workouts
- Spartan Guard Skills Workout
- Shooting Guard Workout
- Forward Scoring Workout
- Post Player Workout
- Spartan Skills Drills
- Spartan Gun Shooting Drills
- Team 3-Point Shooting Drills
- 15 Point Per Game Workout
- College Point-Guard Workout
- Performance Training Drills
- Defensive Rotations into Transition Drills
- Lebron James Scoring Workout
- Tony Parker Scoring Series
- Kevin Durant Scoring Workout
- Derrick Rose Scoring Workout
- Tim Duncan Scoring Series
- Manu Ginobili Scoring Series
- George Hill Scoring Series
- Becky Hammon Floppy to Pick and Roll Drill
- Kyrie Irving Scoring Workout
Coach Tim Springer is the founder of Spartan Basketball in the San Antonio area. Coach Springer has trained over 500 players and coaches in the San Antonio Basketball Community.
His program features:
- Premier Basketball Camps (San Antonio and surrounding areas)
- High Intensity Skills Clinics
- Private Lessons for Basketball Players of All Ages (San Antonio and surrounding areas)
- Training for Club and School Season Tryouts
- San Antonio Coaches Clinics
- Clinics at the AT & T Center - same court as the San Antonio Spurs and San Antonio Silver Stars play on!
- Spartan Character Classes - teaching goal setting, planning workouts, and overall character development
New! Check out Coach Springer's Ball Handling Blueprint.
Coach Springer presents these scoring drills used by NBA All-Star, Rookie of the Year, and MVP Derrick Rose.
Derrick Rose Scoring Workout
Derrick Rose Scoring Workout
Isolation - Lane Line RunnersDiagram A. Defenses collapse quickly on Derrick's drive because of his ability to score in the paint. Because of this he has become great at using runners along the lane line.
Drill: Player attacks cones with any of Derrick Rose's moves and finishes with runner along lane line. Make 30 on both sides of basket.
Isolation - Angles of AttackDiagram B. D Rose likes to attack in the tunnel and from the elbow angle. Once he has the isolation he will use multiple moves to go by defender.
- In and Out to Crossover
- Hesitation to one dribble step back
- Hesitation to in and out to drive
- Walk ball through the legs to hesitation to drive
- Between the legs to hesitation to crossover to drive
Isolation - Changing Area of AttacksDiagram C. Rose might start at one elbow but then dribble to the other elbow to start his isolation attack. He uses the same moves as above from the isolation attacks.
Shooting - Skip Pass ShootingDiagram D. Rose will get the ball a lot from skip passes. He then looks to shoot the 3 or rip into a one dribble jump shot.
Drill: Coach sends skip pass across court. Player must make (12) 3's and 12 rip and go jump shots on both sides of the court.
Shooting - High Post PitchDiagram E. Derrick Rose passes to high post and relocates for a catch and shoot or one dribble jump shot.
Drill: Player passes to coach and moves through process of the pitch. Make 15 catch and shoots and 15 one dribble jump shots on both sides of the court.
Pick and Roll - Sideline InboundDiagram F. The sideline inbound starts with a down-screen to get Derrick Rose open. After the catch, Rose goes right into a pick and roll.
Drill: Flash to catch starting at block. Go right into pick and roll. Make 20 jump shots at the nail on both sides of the court.
Pick and Roll - Turndown ScreensDiagram G. Because of his speed, defenders have to sometimes commit before it happens. This happens a lot while running pick and roll. Because of this Rose has become great at setting up defenders on the screen and then turning it down.
- One dribble to screen to spin move to attack
- Crossover to hesitation to crossover back into attack
- Cross step to spin back to go
Drill: Use the different set up moves and shoot 20 jump shots on each side.
Copyright © 2001 - 2015, James A. Gels, all rights reserved.