Top Sports Trends of 2018 - by Sarah DarenFrom the Coach’s Clipboard Basketball Playbook
Sarah Daren is a featured writer on the Today Show website and has been a consultant for organizations across a number of industries including athletics, health and wellness, technology and education. When she's not caring for her children or watching the New York Yankees play, Sarah enjoys practicing yoga and reading a good book on the beach.The world of sports is constantly changing, and it is not just the advent of new athletes, teams, and coaches that does it. Like every other institute of the modern age, the world of sports is subject to an endless number of variables-especially because of the way that technology constantly changes the way that we live.
Today we will be examining some of these variables and applying them to identify four of the top trends that you can expect to see in 2018.
Increased Use of Virtual Reality
Virtual reality technology is developing at a pretty rapid pace. That being the case it should be no surprise that we can expect to see it enjoy an increased use in the context of sports in the coming years. That being the case it really should be no surprise that virtual reality technology is already being embraced by sports of all variety.
It is being used to train quarterback and umpires to create life like simulations designed to prepare them for real life situations. Not only that but it is also being used to create interactive content for fans.
Without a doubt you can also expect to see a big impact in the world of sports related video games as virtual reality continues to improve.
There are also more important utilities that can be yielded by virtual reality technology. For example, doctors can now use software that tracks eye movement in a virtual reality environment to determine whether or not athletes are suffering from concussions.
And keep in mind that this is still a new technology. Virtual reality tech is expected to only further impact the world of sports as it continues to develop.
See this for more information on the way that virtual reality technology is impacting sports.
London Football Exchange
Cryptocurrency is also poised to make a big splash in the world of sports. For those that do not know what cryptocurrency is, it is basically a form of digital currency that allows people to make anonymous, safe transactions online without needing to implement a third party.
The London Football Exchange is a prime example of cryptocurrency getting applied to the world of sports. In this case through the London Football Exchange fans can make investments in their favorite clubs using "coin," that makes the process a little bit more accessible than it ever has been before.
For fans of football (soccer) this is certainly an exciting development but there is also a degree of risk involved. Cryptocurrency remains a largely unregulated industry which means that it is not uncommon for people to lose their investments in it.
Still, as this burgeoning method of ecommerce continues to develop it will be exciting to see the impact that it has on other sports.
For more on cryptocurrency in the world of sports click here.
Rise of eSports
For some, video games will never be considered a sport. While gaming certainly does not consist of the traditional components that constitute a sport it is nevertheless very rapidly finding its place on the global stage.
eSports, a term that refers to professional video gaming, is a new phenomenon that is quickly proving to be a bankable phenomenon. Millions tune in to watching gaming tournaments stream online, and these events have even begun filling stadiums.
Traditional advertisers are beginning to notice the popularity of professional video games, which has led to lucrative sponsorships from companies like Audi, Coca Cola, and Gillette. As attention to this new category of sport continues to grow, expect that eSports will enjoy even more prominence in the years to come.
See this for more on the rise of eSports.
Continual Crack-Down on Performance Enhancing Substances
Finally, there is the matter of performance enhancing substances to consider. While steroid, and other chemical abuse has been a prominent issue in the world of sports since the late 60's, it appears that tolerance for this behavior is at an all time low.
In December of 2017 it was announced that Russia was banned from the 2018 Olympics due to the nation's history of violating "doping laws."
While athletes from Russia that could prove they were clean were still welcome to compete that verdict nevertheless demonstrated a global intolerance towards substance abuse in sports.
Articles by Sarah Daren
- Costs of School Athletics Is Increasing: 4 Things You Must Know
- Coaching 101: 4 Ways to Promote Leadership
- 3 Insights on the Declining Number of Athletic Officials
- 5 Reasons Why Coaches Make Great Teachers
- Avoiding Drug Abuse in Adolescence Through Athletics
- Maintaining Student-Athlete Stress Levels
- 4 Tips for Athletes Looking to Transfer Schools
- Top Sports Trends of 2018
- Importance of Athletic Scholarships
- Should You Go Back to School for Your Coaching Degree?
- 4 Benefits of Coaching Into Old Age
- The Pros and Cons of Athletes using Social Media
- The Importance of Good Health and Nutrition for Athletes
- 4 Ways to Inspire Kids to Exercise
- 4 Technology Resources That Athletes Can Utilize for Better Performance
- 5 Benefits of Coaching Youth Athletics
- 5 Ways Youth Sports can Boost Mental Health
- 5 Benefits of Playing Sports Abroad
- 6 Benefits of Playing Sports in School
- Emotional Intelligence Can Help Athletes in Sports
- How Sports and Exercise Impact Your Health and Well-being
- Sports and Exercise Tips for Students
- Best Educational Programs for Young Athletes
- Can Alternative Health Improve Athletic Performance?
- 5 Tools For Coaches Who Want Their Athletes To Do Better In Class
- What Student-Athletes Need to Know About Vaping
- Bionic Technology in Sports: Changing the Game for Sports Injuries
- How Coaches Keep Students Engaged During Online Schooling
- Do You Need an Advanced Degree to Pursue a Career in Exercise Science?
- How to Prevent Hazing in High School Sports
- The Impact of a Great Coach in Youth Sports
- The Future of Personal Branding in College Sports
- Should Student Athletes be Paid?
- Staying in the World of Sports After Your Athletic Career is Over
- How to Pursue a Career in Sports Media
- Why Not Think About a Degree in Sports Journalism
- You Didn't Go Pro, Now What?
- Why Athletes Should Focus on Nutrition to Reduce Injuries
- How Accessible are U.S. Youth Sports
- Social Work Tips That Can Positively Impact Your Coaching Ability
- Six Tips for Being an Excellent Youth Coach
- 10 College Majors for Students Looking for a Career in Sports
- Coaching Young Players with Speech Issues
- How to Maximize Fundraising Efforts for Your Youth Sports Team
- How Cross-Training and Proper Diet Can Provide a Competitive Edge in High School Sports
- How Youth Sports Can Positively Impact Low-Income Neighborhoods